Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Thread: Our heritages

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Katie from IL's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2005
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a very similar heritage. I am 100% Jewish, with my dad's family is from Lithuania and my mom's from Lithuania, Czech and Russia. However, most of my family has lived in/near Chicago since the turn of the 20th century.

    In fact, One of my ancestors lived in the same building as the O'Leary's(and survived) in the Great Chicago Fire in 1871. She was my great, great great grandma and she was pregnant with my great great grandma at the time. She was the only ancestor in America before the turn of the century.

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ March 23, 2006 01:34 AM: Message edited by: Katie from IL ]</font>

  2. #2
    GreyMyst
    Guest GreyMyst's Avatar

    Post

    Heinz 57. If I listed ALL the ethnicities, this thread would go till tommorow.

    There really is no "main group". I'm about equal parts of no less than 20 countries. [img]biggrin.gif[/img] No linking factor in religion either, everything from Catholics to Mormons to Pagans to Quakers.

    The first of my family came to America in the 1590s. As the country expanded, my ancestors followed it. Every generation moved on average 8 or 9 times. To find them in the same place on 2 censuses in a row very seldom happens. They generally married first generation immigrants too, which also keeps things pretty interesting.

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ March 23, 2006 01:43 AM: Message edited by: GreyMyst ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Bean Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    465
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Honestly, I'd say American and leave it there.

    I'm guess I'm part English, Scottish, German and Native American, but it's all mixed together so much that it doesn't really matter.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Magdalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2005
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm kind of in the same boat as GreyMyst, tho my Grandpa was born in Greece and came here when he was 9. He married my grandma who is who-knows-what white (probably pretty much everything). My mom (who's half greek) married my dad who is like my grandma a white mutt. So that leaves me a fourth greek and then my dad says probably about the same Irish from him. But theres a lot of English, Dutch, etc from my grandma... not so sure of dad. But man I really wish I had more Greek in me so I could tan. I love the sun but if I am not careful I look like lobster girl. My hair is Greek haha and my grandpa had siblings with blue eyes (imagine that a Greek with blue eyes) so I could have gotten the blue eyes from either him or my grandma. My mom and dad and sisters all have brown eyes of different shades.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Jeanette M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2003
    Posts
    1,239
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have one line who first came to Massachusetts from England in the 1620's, another line from Ireland in the mid-1700's, one great-great grandmother came from Denmark in the 1850's, and one grandmother from Germany (as an infant) in 1899.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Samanthasmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    392
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am Irish and French Canadian my fathers family came from Ireland and my mothers is from Nova Scotia. I got most of my father genes I look 100% Irish, red hair fair skin and freckles!!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Nethilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2006
    Posts
    266
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Mostly African American impure mutt, with some English (I think; my last name is English) and some Scottish and some Native something.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member marymax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 19th, 2004
    Posts
    491
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was born in Scotland

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Southpaw22's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2005
    Posts
    258
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My greatgrandparents (grandmother's parents) came over directly from Germany, my grandfather was Irish, and my dad's side of the family is Scottish. My mom always teases me that that makes me a stubborn Lutheran hot-tempered penny pincher, and well, that's pretty much true! Hee Hee! Whatever I am, I'm just happy being me!

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Starearedkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2005
    Posts
    617
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm half Israeli. My mom and aunt were born them and then immigrated to the US in 1953. I am also part Polish/Hungrarian/Russian.

    -Jordyn

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •